Maulana Azad National Fellowship (MANF) is a fellowship scheme for Minority Students that is implemented by the Ministry of Minority Affairs through the University Grants Commission. Launched with the objective of providing integrated five-year fellowships in the form of financial aid, MANF encourages higher education such as M.Phil./Ph.D. to students from minority communities. A total of 1,000 fellowships are distributed among the eligible candidates under Maulana Azad National Fellowship 2021. Selected students get a fellowship amount of up to INR 35,000 per month along with various other benefits.
The Maulana Azad National Fellowship is offered by the UGC for six minority communities (Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Parsis, and Jains). Five years fellowship is awarded in the form of financial aid to candidates who are pursuing M.Phil. and Ph.D. The annual family income should not exceed INR 2.5 lakhs. The MANF fellowship of INR 25000 per month is awarded for two years (JRF) and INR 28000 per month (SRF).
Maulana Azad National Fellowship 2021 – Comprehensive Details
The Maulana Azad National Fellowship, established in the year 1989 by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, named after one of the most prominent freedom fighters and first education ministers of independent India. This foundation is a symbol of the brilliant efforts of this great leader whose life was full of amazing achievements in various fields. The Maulana Azad Scholarship Foundation work as a non-political, non-profit established with the sole objective of promoting education among minorities, who have no proper resources for education but good at academics. This scholarship is fully funded by the Government of Minority Affairs.
The purpose of the Maulana Azad National Fellowship is to provide a five-year integrated scholarship, as financial aid for students from minority communities. To continue graduate studies such as M. Phil and Doctorate as requested by the Central Government. MANF Fellowship is awarded to research students attending regular and full-time courses at Phil and Ph.D. Fellows of MANF Fellowship will be known as scholars of the Ministry of Minority Affairs. MANF 2021 will cover all universities/institutions recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC)
MANF – Highlights
|Scholarship Name||Maulana Azad National Fellowship|
|Launched By||Ministry of Minority Affairs the University Grants Commission|
|Objective||Minority Communities Student|
|Benefits||Pursue further study in M.Phil. and Doctorate|
|Official Website||University Grants Commission|
- Devaraj Arasu Scholarship 2021
- EWS Scholarship 2021
- AA Student Scholarship 2021
- NSP UGC Scholarships 2021
Maulana Azad National Fellowship – Last Date
|Start Date of Application||Twice in a year (in the months of June and December)|
|Last Date of Application||December 2021|
Note – The given dates are for the academic year, they may change every year at the scholarship provider’s discretion.
MANF – Application Period
The application period of Maulana Azad National Fellowship varies from year to year. Its application time was usually from August to December. However, as per the revised guidelines, from 2020, the selection for the fellowship will be done on the basis of the merit list of UGC-NET and Combined CSIR-NET Examination. Out of 1,000 available fellowships, 750 will be allocated for subjects under UGC-NET JRF and 250 for science class students under CSIR NET JRF. The National Testing Agency conducts the UGC-NET and CSIR NET twice a year. Thus, 500 fellowships will be awarded in each NET / CSIR NET exam.
Maulana Azad National Fellowship – Eligibility Criteria
Maulana Azad National Fellowship is also known as MANF for students from minority communities which includes Muslims, Sikhs, Parsis, Buddhists, Christians, and Jains. Candidates for the MANF are selected on the basis of merit displayed by the students in the UGC NET / CSIR-NET exam. The following are details about the eligibility conditions that applicants are required to fulfil in order to avail the fellowship scheme.
- Section 2 (c) under the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992 as applicants should belong to notified minority communities.
- Applicants should take admission in M.Phil./Ph.D. as regular and full-time students.
- The students must pass the UGC NET / CSIR NET exam to be eligible for the MANF.
- Students must obtain at least 55% marks at the postgraduate level.
- The annual family income of the candidates applying for the MANF Fellowship must not be more than INR 6 Lakh from all sources.
- In addition, transgender candidates are eligible to apply for reservation for this fellowship, and such candidates are provided as per Government of India norms.
MANF Fellowship – Documents Required
Through the points given below, you will be able to know about the necessary documents used in this scholarship.
- The Caste Certificate
- Physical or blind handicapped certificate
- The Research works
- Your Scholarship/Current Employment
Maulana Azad National Fellowship – Application Procedure
Nearby legs were revised guidelines, from 2020 onwards, the students aspiring to obtain benefits under MANF need to qualify for UGC NET / CSIR NET examination. No separate application will be required for the fellowship. Thus, students have to apply online for the UGC NET or CSIR NET exam through the official NTA website. The NTA conducts the examination twice a year, i.e., in the months of June and December.
MANF Fellowship – Selection Procedure
While the selection of the recipients of the Maulana Azad National Fellowship as per the updated guidelines, the procedure mentioned below from the University Grants Commission is as follows –
- Applicants are required to appear and qualify in UGC NET or CSIR NET exam.
- Final selection will be made on the basis of the merit list of both examinations. Out of the 1,000 fellowships available, 750 have been allocated for subjects under UGC NET and 250 for science-related subjects under CSIR NET.
MANF Fellowship – Awards
MANF meets the financial needs of research students to help them to complete their M.Phil. In addition, 30% of the total fellowship is for female candidates, while the remaining 70% is for male candidates. Selected candidates receive the fellowship amount directly in their bank account through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT). See the terms of rate of fellowship for JRF (Junior Research Fellow) and SRF (Senior Research Fellow) in the table given below.
Contingency grant for Arts and Commerce
Contingency grant for Science and Engineering & Technology
Escorts/Reader assistance to physically & visually challenged candidates
INR 2,000 per month
HRA and other incidentals
As per the UGC pattern
MANF – Terms & Conditions
Research work carried out by JRF and SRF in the initial two years is evaluated and monitored according to UGC regulations. Get a list of the following terms and conditions highlighted.
- The duration of the fellowship under the MANF scheme is two years in the initial period. And before this period ends, the partner’s research work is evaluated. The tenure is extended for a period of three years under the MANF Senior Research Fellowship, finding the work satisfactory.
- In case of application of any fraudulent method in obtaining the fellowship, the MANF is automatically cancelled and the amount disbursed is charged with interest.
- The rewarded person cannot take up any type of employment such as ad-hoc teacher, teaching assistant, or research assistant. This cancels the fellowship.
- Bank account numbers of the beneficiaries have been validated through PFMS for the creation of beneficiary ID.
- The awardee of MANF is valid for a maximum of 30 days of leave per year in addition to public holidays.
- Candidates once applicable under the rules of the Government of India are also eligible for maternity and paternity leave.
We hope that you find all the information presented through Maulana Azad National Fellowship helpful. In the above article, we have tried to give you all the important insight and provide answers to all your questions. In case you still have any questions left, then leave a comment below in the comment box. You can also bookmark our website for future reference.
What is the duration of MANF’s prize ship?
The time period of the award ship of MANF is subject to Para 6 of MANF Scheme guidelines.
What is the income limit under MANF?
For the minority students, the income limit of the parent / guardian of the candidate for the Maulana Azad National Fellowship will be Rs.6.00 lakhs per year.
Whom can I contact for issuing the Fellowship amount?
The disbursement of the fellowship amount is taken care of by the University Grants Commission through Canara Bank which is the nodal bank of the scheme. Students can contact UGC / Canara Bank or MOMA for any questions regarding the issue of fellowship.
What kind of courses are covered under MANF?
MANF only regular M. Phil and Ph.D. Covers the courses.
What are the fellowship rates?
The rate of fellowship for JRF and SRF will be as per the UGC fellowship as amended from time to time. Currently, these rates are as follows.